03 May 2011

My Winning Week

The joke in my family is that my younger brother has all the luck, and if anything can go bizarrely wrong - it will happen to me. But this past week was different. Last week I was a winner! Not just for a day. It was a winning week! (So this is what it feels like for those who have everything come easy for them. This is what it's like for my brother all the time.)
It started with getting a new lawn on Monday. It looks so good!
A friend wandered back into my life on Tuesday.
I was invited to a graduation party for a college friend, and when I RSVP'ed my acceptance the enthusiastic response from the hostess - another college friend - deeply warmed my heart.
On a crazy lark, I participated in a scavenger hunt around town with the prize being a pair of tickets to the Blazer play-off game #6. I ran across the steel bridge, back over the bridge, down to the train station, rode the MAX across the river again. While I didn't win the tickets, I did win a drawing for a certified authentic signed Rudy Fernandez jersey. I would have preferred Andre Miller, but I was thrilled with #5 too!
I took a picture of me wearing the jersey and sent it to my brother. His response was hilarious. Incredulous that I would actually think of putting it on, even for the brief moment the photo took.
That alone would have made for a great week. But it kept getting better to my complete astonishment.
The next day we had our larger Test Services team meeting. Or, rather we attempted to have it - technology thwarted the effort. But our VP did give out special recognition awards for those who had worked on Theta. I wasn't sure if I would be included or not, but when Donna called out my name second to last the response was whooping and hollering from my dear fellow Content team members. The recognition for the extra work I have put into the project was very appreciated, and receiving a bonus award check sure sweetened the thanks.
Thursday evening was the bi-monthly HOTEL dinner, one of my favorite days. I had an opportunity to talk with some of my favorites, meet new residents, and was thoroughly amused when crazy Chris asked me out: "It would delight me terribly to enjoy some activity with you." Thursday also marked the last Perspectives class for this year, and I am thankful that the classes have come to a close. There was also a tragic event Thursday - the Blazers lost the game and were ousted from the play-offs. But that was the only downer of the week and it was quickly swept away in the pomp and circumstance of the Royal Wedding which I watched eagerly (the next morning).
But the best news of all came Friday evening when I opened the mail. My doctor had sent me a copy of my recent blood work. Seven weeks into major dietary changes to control my rheumatoid arthritis, my C reactive protein - an inflammatory marker - was down to 0.4. That's normal. I haven't been normal in 10 years since I was first diagnosed and started tracking that number. I found the copy of the blood work done just before I made all the changes and it was at 4.1 - low for me, but well above normal and into the high risk range. To have such a significant change in 2 months was surprising, amazing, and absolutely fantastic! It has spurred me on to continue on this path for health.
I have no idea what this week will hold. I doubt it will be as thrilling, but I know that if I keep an attitude of gratitude and keep my eyes open, God is blessing my life today and every day.There is so much to be grateful for in life.

Wearing my Rudy jersey!!


No comments: