Okay, all talk of me aside, the movie is great. No, I mean it. Really fantastic. This is me, giving the movie 2 BIG "thumbs-up." The Way is one of the best movies I have seen in a while. Well done, Emilio!!
Reasons why I like The Way:
- It is thoughtful, thought-provoking, and challenging while being very entertaining.
- The characters are well developed, engaging, and funny.
- The scenery is stunningly beautiful.
- The movie affirms life, relationships and community - without being preachy.
- Last, and certainly not least, it has a positive Gypsy character.*
I like this summary of the film from its website:
"In the film, a father unfortunately comes to understand his son’s life through his death and along the road finds himself as well. The main protagonist of the film is the conflict we each have within ourselves of choosing a life versus living a life. This greater question of finding oneself is a matter of acceptance and choice. Given the circumstances of our lives, how do we understand ourselves, our family and our friends, and the choices we make? Do we blindly go through life unaware of our actions and how they affect not only ourselves but others, as well? What role does our community, friendships and faith play in our decisions?"
Just go see it. http://theway-themovie.com/tickets.php
*Curious why this would make my top 5 list? I am, by schooling, a cultural anthropologist who did her Master's thesis on the "The Exclusion & Marginalization of the Roma in the Czech Republic and Slovakia."