07 March 2007

Book Rec.

If you are looking for a thrilling and enthralling read pick up Erik Larson's "The Devil in the White City." It is a historical book but reads like a novel. If history classes were this engaging I may have paid attention in high school. The book has two parallel stories, one about the mastermind behind the World's Fair in Chicago in 1893 and the other about a serial killer who preyed on people lured to Chicago by the Fair. I know reading about a serial killer doesn't sound appealing but it isn't gory and horrific. I haven't read anything so well written in some time. After reading one short paragraph about the debate before the turn of the century about direct current or alternating current and the two proponents- Edison and Tesla - I started wondering what key words I could Google to find out more information. Then I caught myself and marveled that this author just made me interested in electricity with a mere four sentences. When I finished the book I was actually sad, sad that I couldn't visit the White City myself, that I couldn't experience the World's Fair. One other good reason to read the book - the author is from Seattle. Gotta support the local yocal!

No comments: